Hoveton Hall Auxiliary War Hospital
Mrs Susan Heard Beevor, was owner of Hoveton Hall, and Commandant when it opened as a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital in February 1916. A call went out to the local parishes for volunteers.
There is a record of 16 ladies from the neighbouring parishes of Ashmanhaugh, Barton Turf, Beeston, Irstead and Neatishead who volunteered for nursing and general duties during the three years it was open.
One example was Miss Annie Easton, an infant teacher at Neatishead School. Having suffered the tragic loss of two of her four brothers killed in action, she must have felt compelled to assist with the war effort. So, in addition to her teaching responsibilities, she volunteered for nursing duties at Hoveton Hall. Annie worked 12 hours weekly as an unpaid volunteer from February 1916 to 22 January 1919. After the war she continued teaching and remained at Neatishead School until she retired in 1950.