Two Norfolk Sisters
The Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps’ (WAAC) khaki uniform was a single breasted tunic with side pockets, a blouse, tie and a skirt 30cm off the ground. Round brown felt hats were worn at home and peaked caps were worn abroad. Coloured insets on their shoulders indicated their roles; brown for clerical, red for domestic workers, claret for drivers and purple for other occupations.
RNAS Pulham opened in 1916 and was known as the Pulham Piggery because the airships were known as Pulham Pigs. Many women came from nearby counties and served in different roles. These included pigeon women who looked after the lofts that supplied the message carrying birds, riggers and fabric workers who sewed and glued the seams of the airship fabric. There is only one record of a Norfolk woman working as an armourer. Winifred Aldous from Dickleburgh worked at Pulham servicing the guns and replenishing ammunitions.
Ethel Maude Easter née Alison
Ethel Maude Alison was born in Little Ryburgh and was in service for a doctor’s family in Wormegay where she met Albert (Jack) Easter, a gamekeeper. Ethel and Jack married and both served during the First World War: Jack attended to mules in Ypres and Ethel worked as a rigger for the Women’s Royal Air Force at Narborough.